Together with the Franklin Local Board and the Franklin Youth Advisory Board Pukekohe Rotary Inc. contributed to the establishment of this wonderful facility for the youth of Pukekohe. The park has been extremely popular with young skaters from the day it opened, which was on a hot sunny Sunday 17 December 2017. It is understood that skate boarding is to become an Olympic sport, so who knows we could develop some Olympic champions.
The club arranged for the construction of the pergola and seating at the park and were assisted by the following:
- Placemaker’s supplied the timber at $5,053.65 less a credit of $1,739.13.
- Holmes and Brown built the pergola at no charge.
- Farrell’s Nurseries supplied plants at $2,132.00 less a credit of $1132.00.
- Chenery Memorial Trust contributed $2,768.35 towards the cost.
- Graham’s Monuments supplied the plaque at no cost.
There was a delay with the supply of the steel posts for the pergola and the construction was finally completed on 2 May 2018. Unfortunately not many of the plants supplied by Farrell’s survived due to dry weather and being run over by skate boarders.